Pages

We are still in love

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Gestational Diabetes

I failed my first glucose test :(
I had to go back 2 weeks later for a 4 hour glucose tolerance test.  And...I failed that one too. Kind of a bummer, but whatdya do.

So..I have gestational diabetes.  A kind of diabetes that only pregnant women get. There's a 50% chance after a woman delivers that she will get type 2 diabetes later. And heaven forbid I don't want that.

They gave me a whole stack of papers to read, and I was off.  Not going to lie it was pretty overwhelming at first. They basically told me I had to go on this extensive diet, watch what i eat, prick myself 5 times a day, so that my baby doesn't end up being 15 lbs when she's born.

That's not what a mom to be wants to hear!  I met with a nurse the next day that explained things to me in more detail. It was so much information I just was overwhelmed. I basically have to count my carbs, but I can't leave out my carbs either. They have me on a strict day to day plan as to how many carbs, proteins, grains, etc that I have to eat throughout the day.
So...Tanner helped me make meal plans and I went to the store and bought totally new and strange food.
Pricking myself 5x a day hasn't been fun at all, but the last thing I want my baby to do is to be 15 lbs, and to have diabetes once she's born. So i'll do all I can to not let that happen and to make sure that she gets here healthy and strong.
 I have to carry this thing around with me all day.


But it's okay, it's keeping me and my baby girl healthy.  :)

She sure is growing by the way!! We've made it to 30 weeks.

I'm so glad she's still in there.  Tanner and I are hoping she will stay in there until at least MARCH- that's our goal :)
We love you sis and can't wait to meet you in 9 short weeks or less!!

No comments:

Post a Comment